Wednesday, 16 November 2016

Feast of St Gertrude the Great (November 17)

The readings (and psalms of) Matins for the feast of St Gertrude depend on whether the feast is Class III or II - for Oblates attached to women's monasteries it will be Class II in the 1963 rubrics, and therefore have three Nocturns.

If it is Class III, are as follows:

(Nocturn I)

Reading 1 (Song of songs 2:1-5): I am the flower of the field, and the lily of the valleys. As the lily among thorns, so is my love among the daughters.  As the apple tree among the trees of the woods, so is my beloved among the sons. I sat down under his shadow, whom I desired: and his fruit was sweet to my palate.  He brought me into the cellar of wine, he set in order charity in me. Stay me up with flowers, compass me about with apples: because I languish with love.

Reading 2 (Songs 8:6-7): Put me as a seal upon thy heart, as a seal upon thy arm, for love is strong as death, jealousy as hard as hell, the lamps thereof are fire and flames.  Many waters cannot quench charity, neither can the floods drown it: if a man should give all the substance of his house for love, he shall despise it as nothing.

Reading 3: Born at Eisleben in Saxony, Gertrude offered her virginity and herself to Jesus Christ in the Benedictine monastery of Rossdorf, when she was five. She had St. Mechtilde for her teacher, and under this guidance attained the highest gifts of contemplation. She burned with such love for the most holy Sacrament of the Eucharist and the Passion of the Lord that when she thought of them she shed tears in profusion. She wrote many things to foster devotion, and was known for the gift of divine revelation and of prophecy. Finally, consumed more by her burning love of God than by sickness, she departed this life, famous for miracles both before and after her death.

(Nocturn II)

Chapter: Put me as a seal upon thy heart, as a seal upon thy arm, for love is strong as death, jealousy as hard as hell, the lamps thereof are fire and flames.

If the feast is Class II


Nocturn I: Songs 2:1-5; 8:1-7

(Psalms from the common of virgins: 8, 18, 23, 44, 45, 47)

Reading 1:  I am the flower of the field, and the lily of the valleys. As the lily among thorns, so is my love among the daughters.  As the apple tree among the trees of the woods, so is my beloved among the sons. I sat down under his shadow, whom I desired: and his fruit was sweet to my palate.  He brought me into the cellar of wine, he set in order charity in me. Stay me up with flowers, compass me about with apples: because I languish with love.

Reading 2 (Songs 8:1-2): Who shall give thee to me for my brother, sucking the breasts of my mother, that I may find thee without, and kiss thee, and now no man may despise me? I will take hold of thee, and bring thee Into my mother' s house: there thou shalt teach me, and I will give thee a cup of spiced wine and new wine of my pomegranates.

Reading 3: His left hand under my head, and his right hand shall embrace me.  I adjure you, O daughters of Jerusalem, that you stir not up, nor awake my love till she please.  Who is this that cometh up from the desert, flowing with delights, leaning upon her beloved?

Reading 4: Put me as a seal upon thy heart, as a seal upon thy arm, for love is strong as death, jealousy as hard as hell, the lamps thereof are fire and flames.  Many waters cannot quench charity, neither can the floods drown it: if a man should give all the substance of his house for love, he shall despise it as nothing.

Nocturn II

(Psalms: 84, 86, 95, 96, 97, 98)

Reading 5-8: On the life of the saint, not online (though the one's for Roman Office with older rubrics on Divinum Officium for November 16 cover similar ground)

Nocturn III: St Augustine Sermon 93 on the words of the Lord: Not available online

(Canticles from the Common, viz Ecclesiaticus 39:17-21; Isaiah 61:10-11, 62:1-3; Isaiah 62:4-7)

Gospel: St Matthew 25:1-13

No comments:

Post a Comment